Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, julienned, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- French baguette slices, toasted
In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium high heat then sauté garlic for one minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
Add in crushed tomatoes plus whole tomatoes (along with juice), crushing each tomato with your hand as you go. Tip: I discard the hard part of each tomato.
Follow with chicken stock, salt, pepper and sugar.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Turn heat to low, stir in heavy cream and basil and heat through.
Top with Parmesan cheese and extra basil. Serve with toasted French baguette slices.
Amy Poore is a Tuscaloosa mom, a wife and a foodie. To see more of Amy's delicious recipes, visit her blog, Poore Amy, at pooreamy.com.